Please carefully read the following event details and register below.
N.B. Please note that payment must be made using Payfast (credit/debit card or instant EFT) immediately when registering to avoid having to register again.
“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair.” — Nelson Mandela
Mandela Day 2021
Rapid Tournament – Open Section
Date: 18 July 2021 at 4pm
Entry fees: R67 * (R40 will be donated towards purchasing chess sets for needy youth)
Format: 6 Round Rapid Swiss
Time Control: 6+ 7 sipm (Accelerated, 1 minute between rounds)
Registration closing date: Saturday 17 July 2021 at 6pm.
*FREE ENTRY: Players unable to afford the entry fee, may enter for free but will only receive 20% of the prize (please use the coupon code: MANDELA when making your booking). Balance of prize will be donated to purchase chess sets for needy youth. Note: You will get an error message after booking for free – please check your emails for booking confirmation.
TAKE ACTION, INSPIRE CHANGE
The theme for Mandela Day 2021 is “Take Action, Inspire Change and Make Every Day A Mandela Day” and we call on the chess community to come together to make a difference by helping us spread chess to the poor and needy youth.
We will donate R40 of every entry fee to purchasing a chess set for the poor and needy.
Individuals, corporate or other organisations can make further donations or contributions to this initiative can do so by going to https://chesshub.org.za/events/mandela-day-donations/ or EFT payment can be made by sending WhatsApp to Paul Wilson on 083 461 8742 to get banking details.
33% of entry fees will be used towards the prize fund. Minimum prizes (25 participants):
- 1st – R 250 (thereafter 30% of prize fund)
- 2nd – R 200 (thereafter 25% of prize fund)
- 3rd – R 150 (thereafter 15% of prize fund)
- Lucky draw prizes
Please go to the tournament description on Lichess for the latest prize funds which will be updated periodically.
- Players MAY NOT RECEIVE ANY ASSISTANCE whatsoever including from computers/chess engines or from any other persons (i.e. parents, coaches, friends or siblings).
- Cheating will be monitored by Lichess.org. Any breaches of the Lichess Terms and Services within 48 hours after the event will result automatic disqualification.
- Please inform the Chief Organizer, Paul Wilson, should you suspect your opponent of breaching the fair play spirit. DO NOT message the player or comment in the tournament chat. You reserve the right to report the player to Lichess.
- Random games will be scrutinized by the organizers and their findings regarding cheating is binding on this event.
- Any person found guilty of cheating will be banned from participating in future South African Chess Hub events.
PROCEDURE TO JOIN TOURNAMENT
- Upon registration and payment you will receive an automated confirmation email from SA Chess Hub that will contain the LINKS to the Lichess Team as well as the tournament links and PASSWORD.
- Click on that link to start the JOINING process.
Please JOIN the Lichess team no LATER than 8pm on 17 July 2021 to ensure you are paired in the first round.
- This tournament will be CHESS SA Rated (online).
- All players must be logged into Lichess no later than 15:30 to ensure that they are paired in the first round.
- Pairings are done as per Lichess pairing system.
- Tie Break: Lichess (Sonneborn-Berger)
- Players must not log out of the tournament and must be committed to play all 6 rounds.
- The organizers reserve the right to cancel or reschedule this event should they consider this necessary.
- No Refunds if players do not join from the start or are disconnected during the tournament. This includes an inability to play due to load shedding.
- For purposes of prizes, half a point will be deducted for draws within 20 moves.
- Players consent to their names being published in results notices and tournament marketing material as well as being mentioned on any live streams. Personal information will only be used for these purposes related to this event.
ORGANIZER CONTACT DETAILS
Organizer: Paul Wilson
Mobile: 083 461 8742
Bookings are closed for this event.