On Saturday 12 September 2020 the third Equanimity Junior Swiss Rapid (15+0) event took place on Lichess.org over 6 rounds and attracted some of the top players in South Africa. The tournament comprised of four junior divisions for under 8, under 10, under 12 and under 14 as well as an open division. Each division had a R 600 prize fund with each winner walking away with R300 cash prize.
The Open division was won on tie-break by Manelisi Ncube over Kartavya Anadkat in second place, who were both unbeaten only drawing against one another in the 5th round. Third place was won on tie-break by FM Banele Mhango ahead of 3 other players also on 4.5 points out of 6.
Final Results – Open division
- Manelisi Ncube (Manelisimj) – 5.5 points
- Kartavya Anadkat (Kartavya_Anadkat) – 5.5 points
- FM Banele Mhango (Banelevich) – 4.5 points
- Geriant Segelaar (DaSpartan05) – 4.5 points
- Charlton Mnyasta (Mrbeast6) – 4.5 points
Tournament link: https://lichess.org/swiss/c1cZBIxE
Under 8 Division
The under 8 division was won by Kaylee Grace Budhram who was the only unbeaten player on 6 points. Luke Bell came second on 5 points and Samuel Driscoll came third on tie-break ending on 4 points along with 4 other competitors.
Final Results – Under 8 division
- Kaylee Grace Budhram (ChessqueenWCM) – 6.0 points
- Luke Bell (lukejb) – 5.0 points
- Samuel Driscoll (SamuelDriscoll) – 4.0 points
- Jedidiah Mabhera (JediMasterJed) – 4.0 points
- Emlyn Wilson (BabyTjoklits) – 4.0 points
- Eduan Botha (MadFluffyFire) – 4.0 points
Tournament link: https://lichess.org/swiss/bXhEPIsv
Under 10 Division
The under 10 division was won by Matthew Shapiro who was the only unbeaten player on 5.5 points. Syanda Ntshiza came second on 4.5 points and Tyler Botha came third on tie-break ending on 4 points along with 4 other competitors.
Final Results – Under 10 division
- Matthew Shapiro (Captainbat) – 5.5 points
- Syanda Ntshiza (Ntshiza356) – 4.5 points
- Tyler Botha (Hackerty) – 4.0 points
- Hannah Osborne (hannahroseosborne) – 4.0 points
- Ruan Cockin (RuRuvictory) – 4.0 points
- Naga Sai Hasitha Manikonda (MHasitha) – 4.0 points
Tournament link: https://lichess.org/swiss/bzPnRhjb
Under 12 Division
The under 12 division was won by CM Liam Baruch who was the only unbeaten player on 6 points. Jan Karsten came second on 5 points and Matthew Opperman came third on tie-break ending on 4 points along with 4 other competitors.
Final Results – Under 12 division
- CM Liam Baruch (Libossplayz) – 6.0 points
- Jan Karsten (KRUMMEL2008) – 5.0 points
- Matthew Opperman (Pie_Shop) – 4.0 points
- Izaiah Solomon (Izzy22) – 4.0 points
- James Wilson (JamesWilson0404) – 4.0 points
- Lakshita Dutt (LL2D1) – 4.0 points
Tournament link: https://lichess.org/swiss/cgWO5lWI
Under 14 Division
The under 14 division was the closest finish for the day with the top 3 players all finishing on 5 points. Lusanda Langa won the division on tie-break ahead of Alen Jameson and Priyasha Shriyan.
Final Results – Under 14 division
- Lusanda Langa (Pholani) – 5.0 points
- Alen Jameson (WhoAreIAm) – 5.0 points
- Priyasha Shriyan (AayushShriyan) – 5.0 points
- Tristan Jonkers (OldCrushRoad) – 4.5 points
- Ntando Tiki (ntandotiki) – 4.0 points
Tournament link: https://lichess.org/swiss/BQf3HBjz
Equanimity is owned by Ricardo Minnaar, a dynamic passionate individual with more than 7 years experience in providing supplemental educational programs, using Chess as an alternative educational practice to compliment the traditional education provided. Equanimity implements a balanced approach to social-emotional and cognitive development to increase the achievement levels and to enhance the cognitive learning of learners.
For more information please contact Ricardo Minnaar on 081 546 2221 or email email@example.com.
Register a FREE account at South African Chess Hub to get the latest chess news and information. Click here
Check out our events calendar for the latest chess tournaments in South Africa! Click here
Like our Facebook page to get the latest chess events and news in South Africa. Click here